Snippets from a bead artist.

1.29.2011

Bead Journal Project January 2011


Hi all!! I am so excited to show off my very first BJP piece!! I finished it last week, but we didn't get to take the photo until today.

I'm thrilled that I've committed myself to this project this year, and very excited that I think I have chosen a way that will enable me to keep that commitment. I am planning on making a 2"x2" square each month, each with a different motif or pattern, and then combining all of the squares at the end of the year to make a bead embroidered purse. I'm going to use the color black as a unifying element throughout, and possibly brass or bronze as the accent.

This month I chose a green and blue palette, and made a 'quilt square' pattern. It was harder than I thought it would be, especially to get the lines straight and even. But I am enjoying how it has turned out, and have also enjoyed getting materials out to work on throughout the year. Fun!! Also very fun is looking at all the gorgeous works that others have been making for January. Do click on the LINK and go see what everyone has been doing!


In other news, I finished a bangle bracelet with Sand Opal Swarovski elements in it, and I am soooooo in love with this crystal I can't tell you. I kept the colors to a minimum and just used bronze and matte gold for the setting, to show off the crystals better. I called it Regal. And, wonder of wonders, I actually made a pair of earrings for a change, to match!!


Now, on to thinking of February's square, and finishing the new cuff I've started.

17 comments:

  1. Your BJP is wonderful!! Your 'log cabin' design is perfect! And you did a great job keeping the lines straight! That's the hardest part! Again, very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the log cabin pattern...one of my enduring favorites :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is absolutely stunning!! You have such an amazing eye for color and detail. I love the PJB piece, and the bangle and earrings are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea of quilt squares in beads. This is very beautiful and I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bangle! I think opal crystals make everything more elegant. Have you seen the preview pics of the new chrysolite opal yet? I cannot wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ned, the bangle is kickin!

    Also? I want to kiss you on the mouth for the idea to particpate in the BJP with an end creation in mind....I may just have to join y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the set, Nanc! And I can imagine how beautiful your BJP pieces will look in 12 months.
    Wonderful work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, ladies, wow!! I appreciate all the support so much!!
    Juliana - It would be WONDERFUL if you joined in, I would lovelovelove to see what you made!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your BJP is fabulous! I have a terrible time getting straight lines with beads, and I think you did great. Log Cabin is my favorite quilt block, and you did an awesome job packing that design into this small square. The purse idea is so unique, can't wait to see it all put together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love the BJP! And the regal bracelet is just beautiful! Glorious work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous! Great idea and beautiful beading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being both a quilter and a beader, I'm very attracted to your January piece. Hard to believe it's so small... You packed a lot of color and detail into it!!! Yes, the small variation in bead sizes makes it difficult to do something like this and get the lines straight. You did a great job!

    Robin A.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much!! I'm so thrilled to get such a lovely response to my idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the little quilt square! What a neat idea, and how pretty it is when done in beads!
    Beautiful start to the Bead Journal Project for this year! Looking forward to seeing what comes in February!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment, it means a lot to me! Please don't be upset if I don't have time to respond personally to each comment - but be sure that I read each and every one of them! :)